Monday, June 24, 2013

Noms for National Dairy Month

National Dairy Month is a time to celebrate all the tasty dairy varieties! Milk, yogurt, cheese...what's not to like? Not only does it taste good, but it's good for you! Dairy builds strong bones, aids in blood pressure control, and helps maintain a healthy weight. According to the USDA, Americans aren't consuming enough dairy. I can't remember the last time I drank a full cup of milk.  I have yogurt for breakfast and put milk in my oatmeal, but is that really enough?  The Dietary Guidelines recommends 3 cups of  low-fat or fat-free milk products per day.  Every problem has a solution, right?  And so, I created a list of some refreshing and delicious snacks to help you (...and myself) consume more dairy this month!

Milk & Berry Parfait
Yogurt is so yesterday.  Build your favorite parfait with a cold glass of milk!


In my parfait, I added strawberries, chopped walnuts and almonds.  Raisins and blueberries are great to throw in too for a little extra sweetness! Add dark chocolate chips to satisfy your late night cravings.


Spoonable Smoothie
Spoon it or sip it for equally beneficial nutrients!



Ingredients:
1/2 cup frozen mango
1 banana
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1 cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup apple sauce

In a blender, mix all ingredients together.  Add ice and let blend until you find the perfect consistency. Add more applesauce to your liking for a silkier product.

Makes 2 smoothies




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...