Friday, June 21, 2013

Oven Baked Banana Split Oatmeal

Welcome to the first day of summer!

Meet my sister, my other half...

Hear that? The incredibly repetitive and annoying song that is ever so inviting and charming coming down the street? Yup, you guessed right. It’s the ice cream truck filled with everything that is equally as terrible and appealing as its music: Fireworks, Creamsicles, Flinstone’s Push-ups, Fudge Bars, and my personal favorite, chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches.  

It’s the first day of summer and I feel like I am 5 years old again, ready to run out my front door and dart into the street to catch the ice cream man’s attention. Only this time, I trip - metaphorically speaking.  Is an ice cream sandwich worth the immense amount of calories? Yes…what! No! What tastes better than ice cream pressed between two chocolate chip cookies? Brittany, stop.  Skip dinner? Yeah, right. I will continue this conversation with myself for a minute or so until my mouth stops drooling, and I can once again function as a reasonable human being.

If only ice cream could be healthy. Summer is just looking like a tease to me – a reminder of everything I can’t enjoy. Well, isn’t that an awful way to enjoy the few months of being a beach bum and a student without a care in the world? So, to really have it all, I proposed a challenge to my fancy dietitian of a sister, Jaime.

Challenge accepted.

She did it, and she did it well.  She made the most delicious and nutritious frozen yogurt. Man, am I done tripping over the ice cream man. Take it from a kid and give this recipe a shot:

Oven Baked Banana Split Oatmeal


Ingredients:
1/2 cup oats
3/4 cup skim milk
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 (1/2 cup) scoop greek frozen yogurt
1 tsp. honey

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mash banana.
3. In a separate bowl, combine oats, milk and walnuts.
4. Spoon half the oatmeal mixture into a ramekin.  Fill the ramekin with the mashed banana.  Then, top it off with the rest of the oatmeal.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
6. Top it off with frozen yogurt and honey.


Serve up a sweet breakfast or scrumptious summer dessert. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...