Hello friends, I have something very delicious to share with you...
You know that saying, “if you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen”… well I was about to with this one. The heat almost got the best of me in my apartment that unfortunately lacks an air-conditioner. Ninety degree weather certainly does not set the mood for baking, but I was inspired so, I hoped and prayed for a delicious end product that would make the sweat and tears all worth it. And it was!
Here’s how you do it…
2 cups almond meal
1 cup rolled oats
3 large apples, peeled
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons apple butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash, peel, and slice apples (very thinly).
- Combine almond meal, oats, sugar, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter, milk, and oil.
- Whisk eggs and add to bowl. Add baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, toss apple slices with almond butter.
- Coat a cake pan with nonstick spray. Pour in cake batter.
- Layer apple slices on top of the batter. Arrange so apples cover the top of the cake. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top.
- Place pan in the oven for approximately 50 minutes. (Cake should appear golden brown).