Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Road to Becoming an RD


The countdown has officially begun! On Sunday, April 6th, I will know what my future has in store for me, career-wise that is. As you may already know, last January, I graduated with my Bachelors degree in Nutrition from Long Island University and am continuing my journey to become a registered dietitian. In February, I applied to the dietetic internship, my final step before becoming an RD. AH! Even though it's a torturous process, it's an exciting one. I'm always looking for new adventures and experiences, which I'm sure to get if accepted in a program. I have applied to a total of 6 programs and a computer matching program will match me with only one. Surprise!

For those of you who are also on the RD track or interested in joining the bandwagon, I have created a guide on how to become a registered dietitian and have provided you with some of my best tips!



How to Become a Registered Dietitian

1st: Undergraduate Degree
The road to become a registered dietitian requires a lot of dedication and hard work. Like any career path, there are many bumps in the road and bridges to cross before reaching your goal. The first step is to get your Bachelors Degree in nutrition and dietetics from a university that is accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. You can find a list of accredited universities on the eatright website. The curriculum includes classes such as Medical Nutrition Therapy, Community Nutrition, Food Service Management, Nutrition Communications, Advanced Nutrition, Anatomy & Physiology, and Chemistry. During this time, you know, while you're trying to get straight A's and have a social life, it is important to gain as much experience as possible outside of the classroom. The options are endless! Experience within a hospital, community, and food service setting will be advantageous on your application to the dietetic internship.



2nd: Dietetic Internship
The dietetic internship is your second step towards becoming a registered dietitian. There are two internship paths - a one year dietetic internship or a two year combined Masters Degree and dietetic internship. The ever-so-handy eatright website contains a list of dietetic internships throughout the country. The internship provides you with hands-on experience in the field. You will take graduate classes and be placed in a variety of settings to fulfill the role of a dietitian.


3rd: RD Exam
You've completed your internship, so you're finally ready...to study! In order to receive the title of a registered dietitian, you must pass a national examination. But, the road doesn't end there. As a registered dietitian, you are committed to a lifetime of learning. To maintain the "RD" credential, a certain number of continuing education credits are required each year. Since I haven't gotten this far yet, I'm going to leave the rest for another day. For now, I'll leave you with this...



Good luck to all the nutrition students awaiting match day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...