Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Day at the Local Farmer's Market

Last Saturday, I moved to Highland Park, LA, where I will be spending the remainder of my summer. I'll admit I'm your typical girl- obsessed with finding the cutest coffee shops, cafes, restaurants, and farmers markets.  As I was eating breakfast at the Highland Cafe, I came across a flyer for the Old LA Farmers Market. Located just minutes away from my apartment, the market is held every Tuesday year-round.  



Did I mention I live with 3 guys?  Me, the captain, marched down to the farmers market with my army of men to show support for the local farmers. The market was filled with rows of beautiful fruits and vegetables, baked goods, arts and crafts, and much more! One stand consisted of several different varieties of hummus.  Mmm...sun-dried tomato, spinach and pesto, and roasted bell pepper.  So tasty! Another stand was selling an assortment of homemade fruit tarts and cookies- caramel apple, raspberry, oatmeal... all my favorites.

As we made our way around, I spotted...Horchatas!  After listening to the song "Horchata" by Vampire Weekend, I've always wanted to try one!  My moment is finally here. Horchatas (or orxata) originated in Spain and are made of ground almonds, sesame seeds, rice, and barley.  They are a traditional drink in several Latin American countries and have grown in popularity here, in the United States.
If you haven't heard the song "Horchata," I highly recommend you listen right now!



Farmers markets are a great way to spend the day with family and friends. It feels even better knowing you're buying fresh food and supporting local farms. Get out there and visit your local farmers market!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...