Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Top Tips for Healthy Eating in College



You're all grown up, heading off to college. You're finally free to make your own decisions.  The next 4 years are going to be the best years of your life! We've all heard it before and yes, this is true... but there are some things to watch out for, like doing laundry, feeding yourself, and the dreaded "freshman 15." This post isn't meant to scare you, but to make you aware of the choices you will have to make as you enter adulthood. It's easy to fall out of a healthy lifestyle when you're at school and have so many different influences around you. Here are my favorite tips to follow when life gets a little bit tricky:

Sabra Hummus To-go1. Stock up on snacks!

When I was a freshman, I kept a bin of snacks under my bed.  Having healthy snacks readily available while you're studying and pulling all-nighters will make take-out and "midnight breakfasts" look less appealing. Mini bags of popcorn (no butter) are a personal favorite and a great option if you have a microwave.  Sabra's hummus snack cups and edamame are also packed with protein and fiber to help keep you fuller longer.  (Trust me, you don't want your stomach grumbling during a 3 hour lecture).



2. Move it or lose it!

You heard me! I know, I know, you have to study and party all in the same day.  How on Earth will everything get done? Fitting in time for physical activity is a crucial aspect of a healthy lifestyle.  Whether it's in the morning, between classes, or after you've completed all your work, we all have to do it.  You'll feel better too!  In my planner, I would schedule in a time to make it to the gym at least 5 days a week.  Set a reminder in your phone, do whatever it is that will motivate you to get up and get moving!  This was my favorite time of the day, where I had time to myself, completely free to relax my mind.  Stress doesn't exist and you're away from all of your roommate's drama.

Me, on a rock climbing trip with the Outdoors Club freshman year.


3. Visit the Vegetarian section at the cafeteria.

College dining halls can be overwhelming. There are 5 different sections offering a variety of cuisines. Most students grab a tray and grab a little of everything. Sure that sounds like a good idea, but this is where things can get dangerous.  You can fit a lot of food on the tray- lots and lots of food! So, my advice...skip the tray and just pick up a plate.  One single plate that is. To start, choose lean meats and fish. Next, some brown rice perhaps? Is half of your plate full? Good. Now, what vegetarian options are there? Fill the rest of your plate with your favorite vegetable or take a stroll over to the salad bar.


See, nothing to worry about! This is easy. Follow these tips and you're guaranteed to get straight A's!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...